In Chapter Publications
The Chapter is happy to assist you in your Summit County genealogy research by performing free look-ups from the publications listed on this page. The Chapter is unable to investigate resources not listed on this page or to perform in-depth research.
If the publications listed on this page do not fit your research needs, please review the following options:
RESOURCES: For information on how to find particular records of genealogical value, go to the Resources Section of the web site. Link to resources
RESEARCHERS: A list of local researchers for hire can be found in Chapter Information. Link to researchers
LIBRARY: The Akron-Summit County Public Library Special Collections Division has a large genealogical collection, including sources for Summit County and Ohio. They will answer your reference questions via email, mail, and telephone. The Special Collections Division also provides photocopies. If the Special Collections Division does not have the resources you need, they will provide the appropriate referrals. For more information regarding their collections: Link to Library
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LOOK-UPS
Look-up requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Put Lookup - (NAME) in the Subject: field:
Please limit each email request to one surname only.
Please choose up to four publications per look-up. List the publications by the numbers indicated below.
Example of an e-mail request:
From: Your e-mail address
Please look up Jones in publications 1,
9, 17 and 19
1. Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume 1
Inscriptions from Bath, Copley, and Norton Township cemeteries.
2. Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume 2
Inscriptions from Franklin and Green Township cemeteries.
3. Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume 3
Inscriptions and office records from some Coventry Township cemeteries.
4. Summit County Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume 4
Burials Records from Mount Hope Cemetery in Akron, formerly Coventry Twp. Earliest burial 1827.
5. St. Bernard Catholic Church Cemetery and Funeral Records
Four sections with alphabetical listings includes: A-tombstone inscriptions; B-index; C- cemetery burial information; D-Church funerals with burials elsewhere.
6. Glendale Cemetery Burial Records, Volume 1, 1838-1869
Predates Summit County, Ohio birth & death records. Part 1: 1,818 entries containing all genealogical information as recorded. Part 2: Cross reference of 363 names other than the deceased. Includes Spicer Cemetery 1813-1870
7. Summit County, Ohio Infirmary Burial and Miscellaneous Records, 1916-1952
Four (4) sections with alphabetical listings. Includes: 1 - County burials; 2 - Akron City burials (some of these deaths will not be found in other County Records); 3 - some Admittance Records; 4-an Addendum listing "Dispositions" of bodies to the Western Reserve School of Medicine.
8. Clifford-Shoemaker Funeral Home Records, 1907-1920
This 2 part book consists of records in Volumes I and II of the Clifford-Shoemaker Funeral Home (formerly known as The Weller Funeral Home) in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Many burials reflect deaths at the old Summit County Home that will not be found anywhere else.
9. Summit County Death Records, Volume I, 1866-1872
10. Summit County Death Records, Volume II, 1873-1876
11. Summit County Death Records, Volume III, 1876-1878 and partial 1900-1902
12. Summit County Marriage Index CD, 1840-1900
Indexes for 60 years of marriages containing 45,000 entries. Each entry lists name of groom, name of bride, the year of marriage, volume, and page number of the Summit County Probate Court Marriage Record Book where the record will be found.
(This information is divided by brides & grooms and into the groups of years shown below)
13. Summit County Will Index, 1840 – 1902
Index of all Wills contained in Volumes 1-15 of Summit County Wills. Gives name, volume and page number, case number, date probated. All information needed to access wills on microfilm at Summit County Probate Court.
(Note: Persons who died intestate, or without a will, are not in this index.)
14. Summit County, Ohio Abstracts of Will Books 1-7(a request to look up a name in this publication is not necessary; a request for a lookup in Publication 13 (WILL INDEX) will result in the lookup of the name in the appropriate abstracts.)
15. Summit County, Ohio Abstracts of Will Books 8-15(a request to look up a name in this publication is not necessary; a request for a lookup in Publication 13 (WILL INDEX) will result in the lookup of the name in the appropriate abstracts.)
16. 1880 Census Index to Summit County, Ohio
14,521 listings. Lists head of household only, area of residence, and page number within the township or city as shown on the census microfilm.
17. Summit County, Ohio Naturalizations, Volume A, 1840-1858
These Naturalization records are the earliest found in Summit County. The information was sketchy and includes Name of applicant, application number, page number, Declaration date, and Final Certificate date. No female or child names appear as they were naturalized upon citizenship conferred to the husband/father.
18. Surname Index to Five Generation Charts, 1971-1994
This book contains all the surnames found on the unpublished Charts contributed by our members. Also included is the name of the member and his or her address at time of publication.
19. The Ohio Storyteller-information on Springfield Township
20. Surname Index to Five Generation Charts, 1994-2006
21. St Vincent Cemetery, Akron, Ohio; Transcribed inscriptions from readings completed in 1959 and 2002
22. Lest We Forget
23. Tallmadge, Ohio Book Records, Internment Book
24. Tallmadge, Ohio Book Records, Lot Book
25. Tallmadge, Ohio Book Records, Marker Inscriptions
26. Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County (1996)
27. Index to Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County (1996)
28. Summit County Veterans Honor Roll-CD
details over 58,000 veterans buried in Summit County cemeteries, including veterans from the American Revolution though 2007. CD provides both a PDF version (searchable) and an Excel version (sortable and searchable) of this file. pub. 2008.
29. Summit County Coroner's Case Index Cards (1874-1969)(The information is sorted by year and that ant limiting rangeof years would be appreciated.)
30. History of Summit County, Ohio (edited by William H. Perrin, Published 1881)
Provided by: SUMMIT COUNTY CHAPTER, OGS
P O Box 2232
Akron OH 44309-2232
Back to the Summit County Genealogy Home Page